Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lai-See




With my birthday looming around the corner, September 13 to be exact, I can only reflect upon the times when my Chinese family would give me little red envelopes for special occasions.

These small envelopes adorned with Chinese script and pictures hold a great history behind them and are frequently used during special occasions. I always remembered looking forward to them for the mere pleasure of getting free money. Often times I would be presented this gift just for visiting my relatives in California, but I was also presented red envelopes during my birthday, Christmas and Chinese New Year.

Known officially as Lai-See envelopes, children were given these envelopes on New Years Day. Good luck money was tucked inside these envelopes, appropriate because in China the color red represents good luck. Combined the colors red and gold represent wealth, popular colors during Chinese New Year. It is believed good luck will come to both the giver and receiver of these tiny envelopes. I always found them to be lucky, especially as a child who receives a minimal allowance. Though maybe I was just lucky because I could eat my fill of authentic Chinese food at lavish family dinners were I would receive this gift.

While I may not see Lai-See envelopes as frequently anymore, the next large occasion people customarily give and receive red envelopes is during a wedding. The western idea of receiving large gifts from a registry list is virtually unknown in China, so money wrapped in red envelopes is more customary. Is a wedding in my near future? Let's just say when the times comes I will be looking forward to pushing the red envelope.

1 comment:

Jeff Browne said...

Nicely done. You might want to get some help with mechanics, usage and AP Style before publishing.

Good links.