Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wedding Food

When I was eight years old I was a junior bridesmaid for my aunt's wedding. The lavish event filled will celebrating guests was a memorable experience. One of the highlights of the day was the reception, a large Chinese banquet filling an entire Chinese restaurant. There were obviously the typical wedding DJ, wedding cake, and throwing of the bouquet and garter, but aside from the basics things were very unique.

The biggest difference I found, and probably because I enjoy eating, was the unique Chinese dishes which were served at the event. I remember some guests apprehensively looking at one another saying, "What is that?" or, "I have never heard of this, but it tastes good!"

In Chinese weddings food symbolism is huge, hailing mostly wishes of good luck, longevity, happiness and fertility. Typically the number eight is used as the number of dishes served, excluding dessert. Eight sounds like good luck in Chinese culture, hence why eight dishes are served.

Of some of the dishes served at a traditional banquet, here are some of the meanings behind the food, and it even clears up the confusion for myself!


Shark Fin Soup: Served at the beginning of the meal representing wealth, because this dish is an expensive delicacy.

Roast Suckling Pig: Represents virginity.

Peking duck and lobster: The red colors of these dishes represent happiness and served together represent joy and happiness.

Fowl: Squab or quail can be served to represent peace. If fried chicken were served as a replacement it would symbolize "good life."

Vegetables and sea cucumber: The two dishes combined represent selflessness because sea cucumber represents "good heart," and when the two are combined the couple is hoped to avoid conflict.

Fish: If fish is served it is for their future to be plentiful.

Noodles: At the end of the meal noodles symbolize longevity from their long strands.

Desserts of sweet red bean soup or steamed sweet buns can be served additionally.

This comprehensive list is not a mandated list of dishes to serve, only the meaning of dishes you may find at a wedding. I know the one and only Chinese reception I was old enough to remember had many of these dishes, artfully created in their uniqueness.

Despite the apprehensive bites of food I may have eaten when I was eight years old, I am happy I was able to experience the wishes of happiness all the food brought to the happy couple.

No comments: