Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Melting Pot

So I decided today while attempting to write a blog, that despite the many efforts I have made to come up with an interesting topic on Chinese culture, my mind draws to a blank. I start to ponder life experiences that would be applicable, but again, I fall short.

I have exhausted my efforts on the holiday season. Yes, I wrote about Chinese Thanksgiving and Christmas, and well, Chinese New Year is too far in the distance.

I attempted to find some sort of Chinese relationship etiquette or culture to write about, but unfortunately too many Chinese singles ads popped up in my Google search. I didn't intend for that to happen.

Chinese religion is varied and in depth. Choosing to write about Buddhism, Taoism or Confucianism would require too much research, resulting in a lack of engagement from the reader. These topics are complex theories and writings on humanism and living your life in a good manner, and I did not think a blog would do them justice.

So then I ventured to the idea of Chinese food. But what about Chinese food? Foods I deem as having historical significance I already blogged on. I didn't think writing about white rice, sweet and sour chicken, or Americanized food like Panda Express was appropriate.

I desperately tried to come up with a topic based on life stories. My grandma was married at 16, so maybe I could write about arranged marriages. But these are less common now and not a widely practiced engagement.

So for today, while I may be blogging about Chinese culture, I have just given you a taste of multiple aspects of Chinese culture, all different in their own way. But if you decide to venture into the wonderful world of Googling Chinese culture, most likely you will land on the YouTube video of the Chinese Backstreet Boys.

1 comment:

Jeff Browne said...

Wow. That was a stretch. You've done a amazing job, though. Just four to go.