Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Qi Gong

As I woke up this morning feeling sick, I out of instinct went straight to the kitchen for tea and the cabinet for medicine. Popping pills in my mouth feeling tired and exhausted, I thought to myself, "What Chinese medicinal practices are there that might achieve the same end result?" The answer I found was Qi Gong.

Qi meaning "energy" and gong meaning "work", qi gong is an ancient practiced used to balance and strengthen one's life force. When illnesses occur or people adapt to the weather, this practice is used. If one is healthy, qi gong helps the overall well-being of the body.

Qi gong is achieved through movements, visualizations and mind control and requires only a few feet of space. It is a transfer of universal energy with internal energy, hence creating a new energy, qi. This practice can be achieved sitting, standing or reclining.

Qi is the internal body body energy that flows along 14 different pathways. When Yin and Yang are in harmony, the energy flows freely through a person's healthy body. When Yin and Yang are in disarray, there is an obstruction of qi.

So as I sit on my bed, I am tempted to try this new practice. With end of the school year picking up and the weather changing to, well, freezing, it is no wonder my qi may be in disarray. Now do I have the 20 minutes to spare as a college student to attempt this practice?

No comments: